10.13.13

photo by Kelly Senyei
From yesterday. Are you ready?  

If you went to the Epicurious website from yesterday's link, you know EACH SQUASH has a couple of links for some recipes. They sounded good to me. Wednesday, I will tell you what squashy goodness came from my kitchen Saturday and Sunday--my days as chef.
Probably most people knew 2 (butternut squash), 7 (spaghetti squash), and 12 (acorn squash) I guessed the sugar pumpkin as pie pumpkin--number 5.  I knew 6 (sweet dumpling) and 9 (delicata). With the rest, I was a little confused.

1. Kabocha squash. Kabocha is the Japanese name for squash. I do not think I have tried one.
2. Butternut Squash
3. Red Kabocha
4. Carnival Squash. A hybrid, I think, of Acorn and Dumpling
5. Sugar Pumpkin or Pie Pumpkin
6. Sweet Dumpling
7. Spaghetti Squash
8. Blue Hubbard Squash
9. Delicata--also called sweet potato squash
10. Red Kuri Squash-- also called Red Hubbard or Orange Hokkaido. It is said to taste like chestnut.
11. Buttercup Squash which maybe seen with a "turban" ridge. If the picture had shown one of THOSE, I would have recognized it immediately.
12. Acorn Squash


No comments: