12.4.13

I think the Pantone colors for Spring 2014 slipped right past me. I know 2013 was emerald, but I was not impressed. Here is what I found out by visiting this website.

"This season, consumers are looking for a state of thoughtful, emotional and artistic equilibrium," said Leatrice Eiseman, executive director of the Pantone Color Institute®. "While this need for stability is reflected in the composition of the palette, the inherent versatility of the individual colors allows for experimentation with new looks and color combinations." 

That could be said about any set of colors at any point in history. As public released statements go, no one can argue with it because it has little meaning. 

It has even less meaning when you see what the colors are. I was hoping my monitor made them insipid and lifeless, but I do not believe that to be the case. 
Refinery29 found the number one color, Dazzling Blue to be not so dazzling as a previous blue. Here is a quote from Refinery29  about the rest of the selections:

"The rest of the shades are in the same vein of slightly muted "brights" (we know this sounds like an oxymoron — but see them for yourself for evidence)."

Here they are in all their lackluster mediocrity.
 L-R: Placid Blue, Paloma, Hemlock, Sand

I pulled those four from the collection for several reasons:
1. They look like swatches for outdoor house paint
2. I think this is the basis for a line of bathroom linens for Walmart
3. I am pretty sure the first two were INVENTED by Walmart.

The last group has a little zip although I think Target designer Missioni may have demanded equal time with Walmart
These are called Violet Tulip, Fresia, Cayenne, Radiant Orchid, and Celosia Orange. Admittedly, they are a little perkier but there is still something not quite right here. At least, to my color eye.

I guess Missioni likes it, though.


No comments: